As the summer heat begins, it is important to stay cool and hydrated. When the National Weather issues a Heat Advisory, Excessive Heat Watch, Excessive Heat Warning, or Air Quality Alert of Orange or greater, the following public buildings are open during regular business hours for use by residents:
Monday – Sunday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
3033 Waldorf Market Place, Waldorf
Richard R. Clark Senior Center
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
1210 Charles Street, La Plata
Nanjemoy Community Center
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy
Charles County Public Libraries
All branches: Monday – Thursday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m; Friday 1-5 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- La Plata Branch, 2 Garrett Avenue, La Plata
- P.D. Brown Memorial Branch, 50 Village Street, Waldorf
- Potomac Branch, 3225 Ruth B. Swan Drive, Indian Head
- Waldorf West Library, 10405 O’Donnell Place, Waldorf
(Monday – Friday, Noon-8 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, Noon-6 p.m.)
- La Plata High School, 6035 Radio Station Road, La Plata Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Road, Waldorf
- McDonough High School, 7165 Marshall Corner Road, Pomfret
Monday – Sunday, Noon-5 p.m.
- Donald M. Wade Aquatic Center at St. Charles High School, 5305 Piney Church Road, Waldorf
- North Point High School, 2500 Davis Road, Waldorf
Monday – Friday, Noon – 8 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, Noon-5 p.m.
- Lackey High School, 3000 Chicamuxen Rd, Indian Head
To avoid heat-related issues, take additional precautions if you work or spend time outside during extreme heat. Wear light weight and loose fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of water. Visit online for the latest list of cooling centers.
Citizens should call 9-1-1 in the event of any emergency, heat-related or otherwise. For additional preparedness information, visit:
- Preparedness Tips for Extreme Heat: www.ready.gov/heat or www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/
- Heat Safety resources: www.nws.noaa.gov/om/heat/ww.
- Air Quality Safety information: www.nws.noaa.gov/airquality/
- Heat illness Information: health.maryland.gov/